These days almost everyone is obsessed with detoxing, whether it’s through a sauna sweat session or juice cleanse, but the process doesn’t have to be so laborious or extreme. Holistic nutritionist Christina Shadle shares a few simple tips you can implement in your daily life.
While we can’t move to a cleaner planet (yet), we can focus on optimizing our digestion and detoxing our everyday lives to support our health and bolster our immune systems. By choosing specific foods over others, being aware of the products we consume, and making other small changes, here are a handful of ways you can start supporting your detoxification pathways today.
- Drink lots of water. Consuming half your body weight in ounces per day will help flush toxins from the body.
- Limit alcohol. Alcohol bogs down the liver and when the liver is sluggish, you can feel depleted, exhausted, experience skin issues, and more.
- Exercise regularly, but gently. During times of stress, intense exercise places further stress on the body and promotes inflammation. Be sure to take rest days to stretch and recover.
- Eat nutrient-dense, unprocessed whole foods like leafy greens, cruciferous vegetables, beets, lemon, ginger, and turmeric.
- Incorporate detoxifying herbs like milk thistle and dandelion root, which contain powerful antioxidants proven to be highly effective in the removal of heavy metals and harmful chemicals from prescription medications, chemotherapy, air pollution, and so much more.
For more wellness and nutrition tips from holistic nutritionist Christina Shadle, visit sidebenefitsnutrition.com.