Ten years from conception to completion, the renovation and restoration of the historic Hotel Constance was finally finished last year, with the opening of its rooftop pool complex and an additional 30 luxury suites. The historic hotel reopened for business under its new owner, Chinese development firm Singpoli, in 2014, while additional construction continued on the lot next door. In partnership with Thai hotel management firm Dusit International, the hotel was called The Dusit D2 Hotel Constance. Neither the management company nor the unwieldy moniker stuck, and Singpoli has rebranded the property the Hotel Constance, in both name and spirit.
In 1926, the Constance was built and owned by Constance V. Perry, a prominent local businesswoman. Throughout the ’30s, the seven-story establishment was well-known as one of the Los Angeles area’s premier hotels, despite its location in the “suburbs” of Pasadena. Following its 1930s heyday, the hotel mostly languished, and prior to its recent rebirth, the Constance had spent decades as an assisted-living facility.
Now this classic example of Mediterranean Revival architecture, a member of the Historic Hotels of America since 2016, includes a rooftop pool, gym, and meeting room complex alongside the original and fully renovated seven-story tower. In renovating the property, a façade, sporting a series of stone relief sculptures dating to the hotel’s original construction, was discovered hidden behind retail signage. At the city’s direction, the reliefs were restored, and this brilliant example of period craft was preserved, further cementing the hotel’s historic bona fides. An integrated fusion of historic glamour and modern sensibility, the cutting-edge and the traditionally grand, the Hotel Constance has returned in fine style.