Over 900 personel continue to battle the Bobcat Fire burning in the Angeles National Forest above Pasadena. As of October 2, the fire was 79% contained but continued to threaten some 6,000 structures, already having destroyed over 80 residences.
According to the Forest Service, “Overnight firefighters observed minimal fire activity and no fire growth. Isolated pockets of fire are still present in the Mt. Wilson area on the northern slope and firefighting priorities are to protect the observatory and communications sites there.”
Forest restoration has begun as crews repair fire containment lines made by hand crews and dozers. This restoration will include adding waterbars that protect roads by reducing erosion by directing water in specific areas during rain events.
The Forest Service had this to say about the weather – “Fuels are very dry and combined with low humidity create a receptive environment for fire spread. Temperatures are expected to range between 78-96 degrees based on elevation. A Heat Warning is in effect until tonight at 8pm with temperatures expected to decrease over the weekend. Predicted humidity is between 10-18%. Light diurnal winds will continue in the upper elevations but are not expected to be a threat to fire spread.”
The Angeles National Forest has extended its temporary Forest Closure Order to October 8th. The Forest is closed to all general activity, including developed campgrounds and day-use sites due to wildfire threat.
A number of roads remain closed as well. They are:
- – SR 2 between Angeles Forest Highway and a point 2.2 miles east of the junction with I210.
- – SR 2 between Angeles Forest Highway to Big Pines.
- – Angeles Forest Hwy, from Sierra Hwy to Angeles Crest Hwy.
- – All roads leading into San Gabriel Canyon.
- – Hwy 39 is closed north of Azusa (8.1 miles north of the junction with I10) to SR 2.
- – Glendora Ridge Road, from Glendora Mountain Road to Mount Baldy Road.
- – Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Rd, from Angeles Crest Hwy to Angeles Forest Hwy
- – Chaney Trail, from Alzada Rd to Millard Canyon Campground
- – Chantry Flats, Arno Drive to Forest Route 2N40
- For more road closures visit: go.usa.gov/xGptF